Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pics & Recipe from Indiana

Here are some pictures from the trip...wish we were still there!!!


Debbie share her pesto recipe with me today which I made...with a few substitutions though. (Basically, I couldn't find the lemon juice at the store I was at so I used the lime juice I already had and then realized I didn't have enough lime juice but just left it at that. Then, as I am standing on the nut aisle to buy the pine nuts I observe that the pine nuts are more expensive than any other kind there, so I decide to buy the sliced almonds instead.) I don't have a food processor either, so I tried it initially in my blender which didn't work so then I brought out my little hand blender that my friend Vicki gave me before she moved to Denver. That worked well. So, in a nut shell, it is no longer Debbie's recipe but I did use it as a guide. I promise to try her recipe in the near future though (and follow it to a T). It's very good by the way...I had some on crackers.

Pesto Recipe

2 large handfuls of washed and dried basil leaves
1/4 c pine nuts
2 cloves of garlic (adjust to taste)
1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 c Parmesan cheese (add more if you like it)
1/2 c lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil

Use a small food processor if available.
Start with basil and add each ingredient in the order listed above. Put the olive oil in last.
Serve over fettuccine or use as a dip with crackers. Also yummy with tomatoes.

2 comments:

Purelily Living said...

omg, i just bought a huge honking bag of pine nuts from costco, i'm sure i'll never get thru it all! but maybe if you guys are coming over for a potluck, we can make pesto with your friend's recipe =)

Purelily Living said...

omg, i just bought a huge honking bag of pine nuts from costco this weekend! if you guys end up coming over for a potluck, let's definitely make pesto using your friend's recipe =)